Friday, February 24, 2006

so long XTC, thanks for everything


Last week, as I told you, I decided to buy a new mtn bike. Here's a picture of her! (you can click on it to enlarge) She's a Specialized Epic. Isn't she pretty? She should arrive sometime in March. I can't wait! I'm so excited! I was able to get a pro deal on the bike from specialized through the racing team I just joined: the International Christian Cycling Club or ICCC or IC3. We were able to get more than 40% off! It was a sweet deal. I guess now I have to race for the team this year. If we got bikes through their deal, we are obligated to race in at least 4 races this year. That's cool though, I'm looking forward to racing. I think this bike will help me out a lot too. I'm used to riding on a hard tail and last year I got torn apart on the downhills. A full suspension will really help me.

This bike has a sweet front fork (Fox F100RL) and a pretty high tech rear shock. It's the new 'brain' shock by fox and it is suposed to ride like a hardtail until you hit a large bump, then the shock activates and acts like a full suspension. Last year was the first year for the 'brain' and its downfall was that the first bump would really jar you because the shock was still stiff. This year they improved it so that the shock will absorb the first shock. I test rode one and it really works. Pretty impressive. This bike also has hydraulic disk brakes which I'm excited about. I'm used to mechanical discs and I think these will be much nicer and hopefully not as noisy.

I hope that I'm able to place better at races this year with my new bike. Not that I need to win to have fun, it would just be more fun. I think i'm going to fit my old mtn bike for my fiancee so we can go riding together more often. That will be sweet too!

No comments: