Tuesday, February 14, 2006

black gold

I've been busy over the last week or so, but I have been slacking here on my blog. I've tried several more of the delicious stouts at Mountian Sun, so I will summarize them here now.

Stone Brewing, CA: Stone Imperial Stout:
This imperial style stout was very strong (around 10abv) and therefore served in a half pint wine-style glass. At first taste it was very thick feeling and very sweet tasting. The sweet taste gave way to many complex other tastes during the extremely long after taste. This was a very intense beer experience. However, after getting a little over half-way through the beer, the sweetness was overpowering the rest of the beer and giving me a unpleasant feeling in the gut. I did enjoy this beer though.

Mendocino Brewing, CA: Black Hawk Stout:
This stout was a more traditional stout. It was very good with a nice body. It was hard to taste it after drinking the Stone Imperial Stout. That one sort blows your taste buds for the rest of the night.

Zomby Woof Stout:
This one is by the mountain sun and is the driest stout they make. It is very similar to Guiness and has a low abv. I did enjoy this one, though it was not my favorite.

Korova Cream Stout:
This is another mountain sun beer. It is tapped on nitrogen and is extremely smooth. They use milk sugar to make this stout which gives it a very creamy taste. This was one of my favorite stouts because it is so delicious and drinkable.

Avery Brewing, CO: The Czar 'o3:
This is another imperial stout and probably the mightiest of them all. It is very strong and robust. It is extremely thick and sweet with flavors of toffee, plums, dates, and mocha. Apparently they saved this batch from last year and have been aging it for a year. This one is very complex. Don't expect to taste any other beers after this one. A great after dinner beer.

Deschutes Brewery, OR: Obsidian Stout:
This was one of my favorite stouts from last years stout and I could not wait to have another this year. They tapped this batch yesterday at 4pm so I had to head over there last night to make sure I grabbed a pint before they ran out. This is and excellent stout. I can't say anything else...

No comments: