Wednesday, February 15, 2006

sappy valentine post

Consider yourself warned...
Last night, for valentines day, I had made plans to take my sweetie out to dinner and then watch a movie at her house afterwards. Not too ambitious or overly romantic plans, but a nice night out none the less. I left work early in order to be able to pick up a movie from Redbox, buy a couple roses and not have to rush to pick up my date. However, I also thought I could squeeze in some work on my tax returns before I left. You see, I was trying to see how large my return would be so I would know if I had enough money to buy a new moutain bike by the deadline (today, I'll explain more later). So, I still thought I left with plenty of time, went to McDonald's and got a movie (March of the Penguins) and then headed to Safeway. I was running a little behind schedule, but thought I still had time to buy some roses. Of course, safeway and its parking lot was packed! I ran in, nervously looking at my watch, grabbed 3 roses, and ran to the self checkout line (I noticed that the roses each had their own barcode sticker on them). There was no one in line at this one and the two ladies using it were almost done (yes!), I think they were preparing for a date night themselves ;-). Finally it was my turn and I quickly swiped my roses, saving my safeway card for last. No surprise, the roses didn't register and a clerk had to come assist me. After he got that worked out I swiped my safeway card and the stupid thing said that I had to wait for help again! I was starting to lose my composure at this point. I finally got out of there and raced over to pick up my beautiful date. The time was 6:30 when we left her place (the time I made our reservation for) and we still had to make it all the way to Buca di Beppo near Flatirons mall! We walked in there about 25 minutes late and the hostess said she had to give our table away because we were more than 15 minutes late! I couldn't do anything except stand there and stare blankly as my heart was bombarded with attacks and feelings of failure. I had ruined Valentines. However, my wonderful fiancee wasn't dissapointed by it at all and reaffirmed her respect and affection for me. She's amazing. :-) We got a table surprisingly fast and continued to have a great dinner. Afterwards we went to her house and watched our movie, which I think she was a little dissapointed in, but she still didn't let it ruin her valentines. It's not over yet though. In my selfishness, I tried to finish my tax returns while watching the movie. She didn't even complain once. She even helped my try to figure them out after the movie when I was confused and frustrated by them. AND, she was even sick during the entire night. So, I never finished my taxes, but I did acomplish keeping my sick fiancee up too late. I felt like I had totally ruined valentines day, but she still thanked me for a great night and reaffirmed her love for me. I don't know what to say, she is incredible. I'm glad am going to marry such an understanding and supportive woman.

***
So, I never figured out what my tax return would be so I had to resort to just praying and asking God if I should by a new bike and if He would provide the funds for it. I think that's what He was longing for me to do, but I kept resorting to my own wisdom and other sources for confirmation. I thought if my return would be enought to cover it, I should buy the bike. I even asked my fiancee to pray for me, but He didn't tell her. He wants me to just trust Him and Him alone. When I finally quieted myself and listened to Him this morning, I felt that He told me to go ahead with the purchase and not to worry abou the money. He is so good. When will I learn to go to Him first every time?

No comments: